CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS......................

Each year, hundreds of people experience what they think are symptoms of the flu: headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizziness. Some recover; some die. Why? Carbon Monoxide, the colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can kill.

 

CARBON MONOXIDE SOURCES....................................

  1. Room Heater
  2. Charcoal grill
  3. Auto in closed garage
  4. Gas range
  5. Fireplace
  6. Oil, wood or gas furnace
  7. Gas or oil hot water heater

 

Where does it come from?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced from burning any fuel. Any fuel-burning appliance in your home is a possible source of CO. Your car is also a source of CO. When appliances and their vents are in good working order, there is little danger from CO. When they don’t operate properly, fatal CO concentrations can be produced. Running a car in a garage or using charcoal indoors can also cause CO poisoning.

What does it do?

Carbon monoxide displaces the body’s essential oxygen. Besides flu-like symptoms, it can also cause vomiting, loss of consciousness, brain damage and eventually, death. Unborn babies, infants, senior citizens and people with heart problems or breathing difficulties are especially at risk.

If you feel better.....If symptoms disappear and you feel better when you go outside your home, but symptoms reappear when you go back inside, you may have CO poisoning.

 

CO DETECTOR DO’S AND DON’TS.......................

 

DO

DON'T


[Top of Page]


[Home] [Site Index] [Safety]